Monday, May 12, 2008

21 Week Check-Up

Josh and I went to the doctor today for our monthly checkup and also for an ultrasound. The ultrasound lasted about 20-25 min. They make sure and check all the body parts and make sure everything is working properly and in its right place. I am so glad that Josh was able to go with me today. It was such an amazing experience to be able to share with him. Emma looks great. She is already 1 pound and her heart rate was 153. We have some really good ultrasound pictures that I will try to post soon. She was in there turning circles the whole time. Then, at the end she got tired and took a nap. She just wore herself out. I have finally gained weight. Today I weighed 2 pounds more than my last appointment. My blood pressure was also better. It is back in a normal range now. During the ultrasound, the technologist told me that my placenta was sitting on top of Emma. Usually in pregnancies, the placenta either sits on top or behind the baby. When the placenta is behind the baby it is closer to the moms back and that makes it so much easier for her to feel kicks and to feel them early. Since my placenta is on top of her that means that when she kicks, she is kicking the placenta and she is still so small that I don't feel it a lot. It seems like once in a while I will feel a kick and then I won't feel her for a couple of days. The placenta is acting like a cushion right now. Once she gains some weight and some strength I will be able to feel her kicking more. It makes me feel so much better knowing why I go for days without feeling her. Sometimes it worries me when I go days and days without knowing shes ok. So everything else at the doctor went good. I go back in 4 weeks for another checkup. Right now Josh and I are getting busy on picking out a crib and looking at some paint colors. I'm excited to finally start working on her room soon.

1 comment:

Hollifields said...

Glad the ultrasound looked good. Don't worry about feeling her every day. I don't think I felt Cheyenne everyday consistently until around month 6. It's really funny when they get the hiccups too. Around 8-9 month she'll stick her feet, hands and elbows out and that will freak you out! Have fun picking out furniture! It's alot of fun.